June update: On June 18, the City Council passed seven ordinances related to fees, rates and taxes. Mayor Stephanson signed the ordinances on June 23.
Everett currently faces a deficit of $13 million in 2015, which will grow to $21 million by 2018 if no adjustments are made. Financial modeling shows revenue growing by just 2.3 percent a year, while the city’s expenses are projected to increase by 4.1 percent a year
In December 2013, Mayor Stephanson convened a group of senior staff, led by Parks Director Paul Kaftanski, to research and evaluate potential actions city leaders could take to structurally balance the budget for the long term. The menu of options were shared with council and the public on April 2, and will be discussed with the community at a series of council workshops and public meetings in April and May.
View original menu of options and accompanying narrative.
If you have a question about the process or would like to share feedback, please email email@example.com or call 425-257-7115.
- March 19, 2014: Mayor Stephanson address to council (read full address)
- March 26, 2014: Updated financial forecast from Susy Haugen
- April 1, 2014: News release
- April 2, 2014: Menu of options presented by Paul Kaftanski (read accompanying narrative)
- April 7-9, 2014: Employee meetings
- April 9, 2014: Council workshop – expense-reduction options
- April 16, 2014: Council workshop – revenue adjustment options
- April 30, 2014: Council workshop – study options
- May 8, 2014: Community meeting (download flyer) – 5:30-8 p.m. Evergreen Middle School
- May 13, 2014: Community meeting (download flyer) – 5:30-8 p.m. Wilderness Auditorium, Everett Community College
- June 4, 2014: Mayor shared recommendations with City Council
- June 18, 2014: City Council passed seven ordinances related to fees, rates and taxes
- June 23, 2014: Mayor Stephanson signed the ordinances into law
Watch council meetings
You can watch archived council meetings through our website or on Everett Channel (check current schedule). Council meetings air live on our website and on Everett Channel (Comcast 21 or Frontier 29).